11 Comments

1. Walter Fisher
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

For what it’s worth, Verbena bonariensis is commonly known as Purpletop or Tall Vervain and Verbena brasiliensis is commonly known as Brazilian Vervain, they are two different plants. Verbena bonariensis is the more popular of the two and is the one you want for attracting butterflies.

2. Kelly Kurt
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

Love me some butterflies. At my location, they have been all but eradicated. Climate change does not help.

3. Bill Beil
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

In my garden, Joe Pye weed attracts more butterflies than any of the other plants even more than swamp milkweed.

4. Somnath Pal Das
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

Hi , I am Som , Somnath Pal Das from Calcutta India. I love butterflies a lot and I have created butterfly garden in my home since last 10 years. Now I am creating butterfly gardens in school , colleges or in friend's place to help butterflies to survive in concrete city. I loved your video and started following you. I will watch your videos. Happy Butterflying and Go Green.

5. leeann cornell
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

Thanks for sharing. : ) I have a organic butterfly, bee, etc. gandener. I also attract humming birds, : ) I live in MD.

6. Alistair Milner
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

Butterflies in Britain and probably many other place are in total crisis, just like the bees. In America monoculture has wiped out many of the pollinators , it is a serious issue that needs to be addressed world wide. 40 years ago there were loads of butterflies in my parents garden, now there are a fraction of that, same when I visited Cayman Islands 25 years ago, the place was beautiful with butterflies, now you would hardly know as they spray the island to keep mosquitoes down but at same time kill the butterflies, it is truly wicked.
    I have tried to create a butterfly garden where I live with plants like Verbena as you suggest and budlejha and many others but there are still very few around. Whatever is going on is extremely serious. As a friend of mine pointed out recently when you went on long car journeys in the past your car would get covered in flies, insects and all the other pollinators, now hardly anything, it is mass extinction under our noses, I recommend everybody get on board with some kind of bird, bee and butterfly projects in garden, public areas and a massive change to farming techniques and land usage and management.

7. rainman8
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

I've seen two other videos on YouTube stating this variety of milkweed, Asciepias curassavica is actually very harmful to butterflies.  They warn not to grow it and to
    destroy any already growing.

8. Paulsur
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

These are not natives. Use plants that are native to the butterfly ecology of your area instead.

9. Garden Sheds Kent
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

Everyone would love to see butterfly sipping nectar on flowers! These kind of plants is really magnificent and a nice view to your landscape and garden. Anyway, I deeply appreciate you for sharing some advices. Keep up the good work!

10. Andrew Kliss
    May 10, 2019 @ 3:06 pm

O.K: They aren't poisonous, but they sure are toxic. Try some; you'll see!

11. nicole graveman